My Mind Made Public -

I held off as long as I could ...

Friday, April 3, 2009

Christianity Today Reviews Love Is An Orientation


While I was in San Diego speaking at the National Pastors Convention I had an opportunity to sit down with an editor (Brandon O’Brien) from Christianity Today (CT) for a thirty minute interview to talk about my book and the work of The Marin Foundation.

You can click here to read CT’s review of Love Is An Orientation. At the bottom of the review is a one minute, forty-eight second audio clip from the longer thirty minute interview that will by published in Christianity Today International’s Leadership Journal in a few weeks.

As for my thoughts on the review, I thought it was very heartfelt. I especially enjoyed the last paragraph, although it hurts my heart to think that some Christians think my writing is abrasive—I can only think that has as much to due with my topic and my challenges to intentionally pursue tension filled relationships. Either way, I LOVED Brandon’s response.

If there is one thing I’ve learned over the years of my work, it’s that printed words never seem to do the job—the reason I am committed to blanketing the country so as many people can see my face, heart and passion for seeing a bridge built. Hearing me does much more than words could ever do (although don’t get me wrong, I AM SO THANKFUL FOR THE WORDS AS WELL!!!).

Much love.
http://www.themarinfoundation.org/

3 comments:

Elaina said...

So far (I've just started reading your book . . . and I'm not even getting paid to read an IVP book, like I normally do!), I have yet to find your writing style abrasive. Although, I did sit in on one of your sessions in Pittsburgh, and toward the end you got a little, how do you say, fired up!

Andrew Marin said...

Hi! "Fired up"....I love to (and tend to) definitely get fired up. But is that abraisive? (That is not a sarcastic question, it's actually an honest question I'd like to know the answer to).

I have been told that some people tend to get a little sheepish when I get "fired up", so what I do at the beginning of all of my talks now is to say the following:

"Just so you all know there are times when I might get a little "excited" and sound like I'm yelling throught parts of my talk. I'm not. I just get easily excited. Actually, my wife always says to me...Andrew, I know you're not yelling at me and you're just excited, but can you tone it down a couple of notches? So if that happens today, just know that I'm not yelling at you, I'm yelling in excitment for what I believe in. I guess this means I have to apologize in advance."


So, what do you think of my pre-apology to my speeches???

:)

Elaina said...

Umm, I don't think "fired up" comes across as abrasive IF people agree with you. If they don't agree with you, they might find that "fire" abrasive . . . like fire ants, they're kind of abrasive (uh, so I've heard). And I'm going to guess that it's the more sensitive, introverted types who disagree who'll find your fire abrasive. Extroverts who are more outwardly passionate might be able to resonate with your emotional energy.

Yeah, I missed your "intro-apology" in Pittsburgh, but it sounds good--even if it's a little sad to have to apologize before you even say anything! Again, though, can't say if you'll still come across abrasive, cause I seem to agree with you! So to me, it's just like, "Right on, dude!"